AT provides digitization and reformatting services for educational and research purposes. Materials submitted may be commercial or self-created, provided that their use falls under the current interpretations of United States Copyright Law as understood by San Francisco State University and the Department of Academic Technology, including the following regulations:
- Digitized versions of resources must be used for scholarly or instructional (not commercial or personal) purposes.
- The conversion of resources into digital formats must not have a negative commercial impact on the market or sales of the original resource.
- Digitized versions of resources must be used in an academic or instructional setting, and must be delivered to a restricted audience, including via password protected logins on University servers for online courses.
- Resources used in online courses must be accompanied by a notice of copyright via instructor.
Content and Quantity Parameters
|Type||Format||Delivery Platform||Amount Digitized|
|Commercial||Modern (e.g. DVD, CD)||Classroom||Fair Use|
|Commercial||Modern (e.g. DVD, CD)||Online||Clips|
|Commercial||Aging/Damaged (e.g. VHS)||Classroom||Full*; Clips if not in media catalog|
|Commercial||Aging/Damaged (e.g. VHS)||Online||Clips|
*Full digitization of aging resources pertains only to resources owned by the Library in the Media Catalog, if another modern replacement cannot be acquired. Ability to circulate these resources beyond cablecasting is currently being reviewed.
AT will digitize the following analog formats:
- Audio: Standard-sized Cassette tapes and Compact Discs
- Video: VHS, DVD, Hi-8, and Mini DV video
- Slides: Standard-sized individually mounted slides and un-mounted transparencies
- Photographs: Up to 12x18 inches
AT can provide the following digital formats:
- Master/Archival formats: AIFF, WAV
Web-ready format: mp3
- Master Archival formats: AVI, MOV Quicktime
Web-ready format: mp4
Photographs and slides:
- TIFF, JPEG
- Color Modes: 8 or 16 bit RGB, 8 or 16 bit B&W, Color CMYK
- Resolution: Up to 300 DPI
- Scale: Up to 350%
*Academic Technology’s digitization service currently does not offer image retouching or manipulation.
AT will provide digitization services for reasonable quantities of material on a per semester basis. Reasonable quantities typically include: up to six full single resources (including VHS and DVDs, audio cassette tapes, and audio discs), and/or up to three separate sets of resources (including slides and photography collections up to 200 per set) per faculty/staff member request. Please contact us to discuss exceptions.
AT aims to provide digitized resources in an efficient manner. Turnaround time is dependent upon our queue of projects and the size of a request.
AT can provide digital files through a variety of media and platforms dependent upon the digitized resource and its intended use:Co
|Digital image files||✔ Available on DVD/CD||✔ Available on Thumbdrive||✔ Available on iLearn||✔ Available on Box.com|
|Video clips||✔ Available on DVD/CD||✔ Available on Thumbdrive||✔ Available on iLearn||✔ Available on Box.com|
|Full length video (self-created)||✔ Available on DVD/CD||✔ Available on Thumbdrive||✔ Available on iLearn||✔ Availableon Box.com (Box.com has a 5GB maximum size)|
|Full length video (commercial)||Not available on DVD/CD||Not available on Thumbdrive||Not available on iLearn||Not available on Box.com||Cablecast|
|Audio clips||✔ Available on DVD/CD||✔ Available on Thumbdrive||✔ Available on iLearn||✔ Available on Box.com|
If you have questions regarding the process or output of digitized materials, please contact the Digitization Team at email@example.com.